Pages

Friday, November 14, 2014

Thanks for the Liebster Award!

I've been nominated by Lydia at Glamour and Gluesticks for the Liebster Awards.

You may find yourself asking, "What in the world is the Liebster Award?"  I know that's what I said!  It's pretty simple.  When a person is nominated for the Liebster Award, first they answer 11 questions about themselves.  Afterwards, they nominate 11 additional bloggers with fewer than 200 bloggers for the award.  It's like a chain award  designed to help new bloggers* (see #1) become acquainted with the blogging world.

Here's my answers:
1)  Why and how long ago did you start blogging?
I created a 4th grade classroom website, www.mrsrenz.net way back in the year 2000 when hardly any teachers had websites.  I was one of the first teachers in my district to create a website.  I went to Costco, bought the web building program with my own money and taught myself how to make a website.  By August I had an amazing classroom website full of resources for teachers and students and it became my means to communicate with my families 24x7.  My website (14 years later) has over 2.2 million views, so while I am new to the blogging world, I am NOT new to the web world! I've received lots of awards for my website.  Now I maintain all of the links on my website AND keep up a blog.  :)
2)  What one word sums up the heart of your blog and why?
One word:  sharing.  Why?  Because teachers work WAY too hard not to share what works with others.  We all strive to be the best teacher and motivate the students we have been charged to teach and instill a love of learning.  Blogging allows us (teachers) to connect, and share what works with kids.
3)  Is there something you learned late in your blogging journey that you wished you knew before?
I'm learning new things about how Blogger functions differently than a website.  I have always learned best by doing and I'm not afraid to click and see what happens.

4)  What is your favorite past time other than blogging?
I love traveling!  If I could fly somewhere, my ticket would be to Scotland.  I'm a dual citizen of the U.S. and U.K. and my dad was born in Scotland in a small coastal town. I went to school for a year in England when I was 15.   I'd love to live in Scotland if I could!
5)  How many hours per week do you dedicate to your blog?
WAAAAY to many!  :)  Back when I started my website I bet I spent 40+ hours each week adding great links that I wanted to use or that I wanted to use during our center rotations.  I've just redesigned my classroom website to have special sections for students, teachers, and teachers who are looking for great lessons, activities, projects and unit for their classrooms.  I probably spend 15 hours a week working on my blog.  When I get inspired, I start new posts and then come back to them later on.

6)  What category of blog posts do you enjoy most?
I really like learning about the person who wrote the blog and getting to "know" them as a person and then as a teacher.  I always read the "About Me" section first.

7)  Where does your blog inspiration come from?
I get ideas from all around me - from life itself.  I take photos and jot notes of things I want to remember to blog about.  I want to share the things in the classroom that brought joy to my students and their families.

8)  Which post that you've written are you most proud of?
There's not really one post that I'm more proud of than another.  I hope people are finding my blog posts helpful.

9)  Is there a post you've been planning to do but have been postponing?
I want to do post where I feature my fellow Disney Teacher Award and JASON XV Project buddies and ask them to share what they've learned. We can all help each other by sharing!  Pay if forward!
10)  What is you favorite aspect of blogging?
I like writing when I want and saying what I want to say on the topic I choose.  I like the freedom to make blog posts and writing about what pops into my mind.  It's my choice!

11)  Which recipe, project, or idea on my blog would you most likely try yourself?
Lydia, your blog post that talked about Jitter Juice was so clever!  Students would love that! Heck, I would love that!  :)
- - - - - - - - - - 
The Rules
Now that you've been nominated, here are the official rules for accepting:
1)  In your post, link back to the blogger (me) who nominated you as a thank you and "shout out."
2)  Answer all 11 of the questions I answered above.
3)  Nominate 11 blogs that have fewer than 200 followers each and have them answer the same questions above.

I Nominate: (and if you have more than 200 followers, sorry, I tried!)
* Kathie at Tried and True Teaching Tools
* Heather at Recipe for Teaching
* Kathleen at Kidpeople Classroom
* Amy at Albuquerque Amy and Academics
* Stephanie at The Learning Chambers
* Mary at 4th Works
* Kayla at Ms King's Kinders
* Miss B. at Real Teachers Learn
* Lindsay at Miss Rodgers' Third Grade
* Tracy and Michelle at 4th Grade Dynamic Duo
* Patti at Tales from a 4th (And 5th Grade Teacher)

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Heather, thanks for the Liebster nomination! It is much appreciated. I hope you and your nominees will link up on the Liebster page. Anyone can find info about the award and Liebster Award bloggers who link up there! http://www.kidpeopleclassroom.com/2014/11/find-liebster-bloggers.html
    And about that trip to Scotland... Can I go?? Next time I hop the pond I hope to do Scotland, Wales and Ireland. My mom is Irish and lived there and England when growing up. I SERIOUSLY would love to find a group of teachers to go with! Imagine the posts after that trip! Count me in!!
    See you around! Kathleen
    Kidpeople Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathleen! I tried to link up but the link says the page does not exist. I think the link is incorrect. :o Can you check it and I'll try again? That trip would be amazing! Oh wow!
      Heather from Mrs. Renz’ 4th Grade Class

      Delete
  2. Congratulations and thanks for the Liebster nomination, too!! Reading your answers made me feel like I was reading my own!! I love the idea of the Liebster; what a great way to connect with all of us newbies :) I especially love reading everyone's enthusiasm! And count me in on traveling, too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathie. Thanks for fixing the linky link! I love connecting with other teachers. It's that six degrees of separation at work again!

      Delete
  3. Congrats!! I remember finding your website when I first started teaching and loved that you shared so much!! You certainly helped me through my first years of teaching!! Thanks for always being willing to share!!

    Rachel
    A Tall Drink of Water

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you, Rachel! Sharing is caring! :) Stay in touch!
      Heather

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...