Pages

Saturday, February 13, 2016

20 Days Until the Iditarod Starts!

The Iditarod begins in less than three weeks from today on March 5th in Anchorage, Alaska and I couldn't be more excited!  I love dogs, being outdoors, snow, Alaska AND I love to find real life projects that I can use with students.

Teachers, are you using this exciting real life event to teach some essential skills using the Iditarod as the theme?  There's still time to get in on the fun!  I created an engaging Iditarod Unit loaded with materials ready to print and use.  You can see my Iditarod bundled set on TpT here.

The Iditarod is exciting for students . . . . and I use it it sneak in some much needed math problem solving and language review and practice!    Honestly, I'll use any excuse to get students working and talking math and language!  I designed the "Follow a Musher" portion to use minimal class time. It's the other content-packed components of the program that matter most to me!  ;)
First off, students choose the name of a musher to follow.  If you want, students can use the biography materials and website links in the set to learn about the musher, take notes, and write a short 4-page file folder biography.
Students will color the set of sled dogs and sled and draw their musher standing on the sled.  The desk name tag holds the place marker.   Students name their dogs and the race begins.
Each day students literally race to the room to check their musher's race position, and then it's off to doing the daily musher math problem and musher language review.  The SMART Board set makes the learning interactive and fun.
To sneak in more grammar fun, the set also has a grammar word puzzle and Iditarod themed Grammar Helper to reinforce common and proper nouns, verbs, adverbs and adjectives.
Get ready as the dogs head out on the Iditarod trail on March 5th.  Mush on!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...